A tasty, versatile sauce that makes and excellent accompaniment to pasta, rice or potatoes.
Pro Points: 2
Filling & Healthy: 0 (if using oil from your daily allowance)
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 4tsp healthy oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 aubergine, cut into large chunks
- 1 large courgette, cut into thick semi-circles
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, cut into large chunks
- large handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1tbsp mixed herbs
- 5 cloves garlic, 3 unpeeled, 2 peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium (165g each) chicken breasts
- 2x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2ooml chicken stock made with 1 stock cube
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- large bunch fresh basil, torn roughly
- Preheat the oven to 200c/fan 180/Gas Mark 6.
- Put all of the chopped vegetables into a large roasting tin. Lightly crush the 3 unpeeled cloves of garlic under a large flat knife or using the heel of your hand and add to the tin.
- Drizzle 4tsp of the oil over the vegetables and sprinkle with the mixed herbs, chilli flakes and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables well until they are all coated with the oil and seasoning.
- Lie the chicken breasts on top of the vegtables and put the tin into the oven to roast for 30mins (after 15mins, toss the vegetables again).
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large pan over a med/low heat. Add the chopped garlic and gently stir fry to 1min.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and stock to the garlic and bring to rapid simmer for 3mins before adding the chopped basil.
- When the vegtables are soft and the chicken is cooked through, chop the chicken into bitesize pieces before adding the whole lot, including any roasting juices, to the tomatoe sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a rapid simmer for a few minutes. Check the seasoning and serve.
Top Tip: Leave out the chicken and use vegetable stock to make this a 0 Pro Points, vegan/vegetarian dish.