This is one of my staple mid-week recipes. It is quick, economical and it’s so easy that Mr FFF actually cooked the dish pictured all on his own. And to give him the full credit he deserves, he didn’t even make much mess!
This batch loving prepared by Mr FFF
Pro Points: 7
Simple Start: 0
Filling & Healthy: 0
Preparation time: 5mins
Cooking time: 15mins
- 120g dried wholemeal pasta
- 4 bacon medallions, chopped
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes or 4 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 2tsp mixed herbs
- Fry the bacon and mushrooms in a non-stick saucepan until the bacon is just cooked.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the mixed herbs.
- Simmer the sauce while you cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Season the sauce to taste and serve on top of the drained pasta.
Top tip: Add a pinch of dried chilli flakes to give this dish a fiery kick.
Put a twist on this classic by using pork, chicken or turkey mince. I like to use a beef stock cube to add richness to the sauce but you could match the stock to your choice of mince if you prefer.
Pro Points: Chicken 
+ extra for spaghetti
Simple Start: 0
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 40mins
- Olive/vegetable oil or oil spray
- 1 large or 2 small onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g of your choice of chicken mince, extra lean beef mince, extra lean pork mince, or turkey breast mince
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400g passata
- Beef stock cube, made up with 100ml of hot water
- 200g mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2tbsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt & pepper
- Spaghetti to serve
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Add the onions and garlic and fry gently over a medium/low heat for approximately 5mins until softened.
- Add your choice of mince. Increase the heat slightly and fry until browned.
- Add the tomatoes, passata, stock and mixed herbs and stir well.
- Bring up to the boil. Stir in the mushrooms then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25min until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Season to taste and serve with cooked pasta.
Top tip: Add some chopped mixed peppers and extra tinned tomatoes or passata to make this go even further (and reduce the points per serving if you are counting Pro Points). E.g. If using chicken mince and adding 3 peppers, you are able to get 6 servings at 2pp each (excluding pasta).