A tasty twist on an otherwise plain side dish.
Pro Points: 7pp
/Filling & Healthy: 0pp
Preparation time: 5mins
Cooking time: 20mins
- 60g brown rice
- 2 onions, 1 chopped roughly, the other sliced thinly
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Spray oil
- Put the rice into a small saucepan and crumble in the stock cube. Cover with boiling water so that the water level sits above the rice to a depth of about 1inch. Add the chopped onion, stir once and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the water has been absorbed (approx.. 10mins). Turn off the heat, cover the saucepan and leave to stand for 10mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan over a low and spray with oil. Add the sliced onions and fry stirring frequently until golden brown (add a splash of water to prevent the onions from sticking if required).
- Serve the cooked rice topped with the fried onions as an accompaniment to your choice of meat and vegetables.
Top tip: Stir in frozen peas and sweetcorn at step one and add cooked pieces of chicken, pork, beef or fish before serving for a tasty main meal.