This is incredibly easy and makes a delicious alternative to a takeaway on a Saturday night. The spice level is medium-hot but this can be altered by adding more/less chillies as desired.
Pro Points: 3 (+ extra for rice)
Simple Start: 0
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 4-6 hours
- 2 medium/3 small onions
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp turmeric
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 each red & green pepper, cut into strips
- 400g lean braising beef
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200g passata
- Finely chop half of the onions and cut the other half into wedges. Put into slow cooker with the sliced garlic.
- Crush the coriander seeds and break the cinnamon stick in half. Add all the spices to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cut the beef into large chunks and add to the slow cooker along with the peppers, tomatoes and passata. Stir well.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 6 hours until the meat is cooked through.
- Season to taste and serve with brown rice.
Top tip: Make extra and freeze the left-over portions for a great homemade ready meal.