A filling yet summery soup.
Smart Points: 4
No Count (if made with wholemeal pasta. If made using white pasta, allow 1SP/serving)
Cooking time: 10mins prep + 35mins cooking
- 1tsp healthy oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 small potato, diced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1 vegetable stock cube made up with 600ml boiling water
- 2tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 30g soup pasta or macaroni
- 200g tin baked beans
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook gently until soft, without browning.
- Add the leek and potato and cook gently for 5 mins. Add a splash of stock if the vegetables begin to stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20mins.
- Add the pasta and baked beans then simmer for a further 10mins until the pasta is just cooked.
- Season to taste, then serve.
Top Tip: Sprinkle with a tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan before serving for an extra 2SP per serving (dish will no longer be vegan).
This is one of my staple mid-week recipes. It is quick, economical and it’s so easy that Mr FFF actually cooked the dish pictured all on his own. And to give him the full credit he deserves, he didn’t even make much mess!
This batch loving prepared by Mr FFF
Pro Points: 7
Simple Start: 0
Filling & Healthy: 0
Preparation time: 5mins
Cooking time: 15mins
- 120g dried wholemeal pasta
- 4 bacon medallions, chopped
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes or 4 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 2tsp mixed herbs
- Fry the bacon and mushrooms in a non-stick saucepan until the bacon is just cooked.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the mixed herbs.
- Simmer the sauce while you cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Season the sauce to taste and serve on top of the drained pasta.
Top tip: Add a pinch of dried chilli flakes to give this dish a fiery kick.
This is so incredibly quick and easy I almost feel fraudulent for posting it as a recipe. But it’s so delicious and filling I thought it would be mean not to share.
Pro Points: 4pp
Simple Start: Yes
Filling & Healthy: 0pp
Preparation time: 0mins
Cooking time: 10-15mins
- 400g tin mixed bean salad, drained and rinsed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Handful chopped, frozen spinach
- Handful of frozen sweetcorn
- 1/2tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2tsp paprika
- 1/4tsp ground cumin
- Vegetable stock cube
- Put all the ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Stir in hot water until the soup reaches your preferred consistency.
- Bring back to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer until cooked through (approximately 5-10mins).
Top tip: If you have any, stir in some chopped fresh coriander before serving.